The mission of PIHR is to:
- Augment the foundations for the establishment of a just, secure, tolerant and democratic society in Pakistan.
- Promote and undertake measures to bridge the digital divide within Pakistan and between Pakistan and the developed world.
- Promote access to information as a basic human right and leverage ICTs for delivering Universal Human Rights including civil, political, social, economic and cultural.
In order to achieve its mission, PIHR pursues the following objectives:
- Research, policy analysis, advocacy and lobbying to convince provincial and national governments on human rights, democracy and related issues.
- Media awareness campaigns to promote the right to information as a basic human right and the use of ICTs for development.
- Consultancy in social, economic, cultural, civil and political human rights for the voluntary, community, public and private sectors on both policy and practice.
- Establishment of enabling multipurpose ICT infrastructure in underserved communities and institutions.
- Development and delivery of educational, managerial, rights based, skill development and technical capacity building programmes to underserved areas.
- Empowering institutions and communities by way of executing sustainable projects pertaining to social, economic, cultural, civil and political human rights in collaboration with the voluntary, community, public and private sectors.
- Strategic legal interventions.
PIHR works in conformity with the objectives of United Nations Millennium Development Goals and is particularly aligned to deliver results of MDG No. 8F – in cooperation with the private sector, make available benefits of new technologies, especially information and communications. PIHR supports the agenda of the World Summit on Information Society (WSIS) and runs programmes pertaining to action lines.
- Information and communication infrastructure.
- Capacity building.
- Enabling environment.
- ICT applications.
- Cultural diversity and identity, linguistic diversity and local content.
- Ethical dimensions the Information Society.
- International and regional cooperation.